This Summer, Ovalhouse and Coney are collaborating to open a new interactive space within a shop unit in Brixton Village. The shop will reveal itself to be a ‘mission headquarters’ where a number of games and adventures will be launched for locals and visitors to play for free.
Coney will be creating these games, and with Ovalhouse are looking to micro-commission four new pieces to be designed and realised by makers specific to Brixton. The commissioned pieces will become part of A Mixtape of Adventures,available to play throughout June and July 2020.
The games may vary in length, number of players, analogue or digital – but all will invite players to interact with each other and/or the streets of Brixton in new ways.
What’s on offer
- Four micro-commissions – to design and realise a game to be played in and specific to Brixton.
- A fee of £500 per commission.
- Three half-day workshops in Coney’s practice of game-making, including: Demos of Existing Coney Works; Making Audience-Centred Interactive Work; Digital Toolkits.
Who we’re looking for
- Artists or makers who are passionate about Brixton: its people, places and stories.
- Artists or makers who are writers, game designers or work in other storytelling-media and who want to expand their practice into game design.
- Individuals that base their work or live in Brixton. We are open to applications from individuals who have had or currently have a significant connection with the area.
How to apply
- Please send up to 500 words on your work and practice, and details on why you are applying.
- Video or audio submissions are also welcomed, and should be no longer than 2 minutes in length.
- The deadline for applications has been extended to 6pm on Friday 3 April. Workshops and making will take place through April and May. Dates are currently flexible.
- Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘A Mixtape of Adventures – Application’ in the subject line, and please send us a completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring form at the same time. You can contact Ellie Browning on email@example.com or 020 7377 0088 if you have any queries.
For the past 50 years Ovalhouse has been a home to experimental, radical and overlooked artists seeking to make theatre and performance that speaks to a world beyond the mainstream. Ovalhouse will open a brand new, purpose-built theatre in the heart of Brixton in Spring 2021.
Coney are interactive theatre-makers. They create games, adventures and play where people can choose to take a meaningful part. Their work takes place anywhere that people gather: in theatres, schools, museums, on the streets and online and always follows the principles of adventure, curiosity and loveliness.
Update for COVID-19: We currently plan to continue to build this project, but due to present circumstances it may be that we offer the workshops digitally. We’ll be in touch with the selected makers, to make arrangements and with project updates.